Success at work
Joanna tagged me, so here goes.
I'm supposed to list five things I do every day to contribute to my "success." (I should note that I'm reading this as success at work. Success in some other arena--say, motherhood--would entail a completely different list. And would be much less attainable, in my opinion.)
1. Take care of/ respond to work-related emails as soon as they come in. I'm not always on top of things (like grading, writing a report that's due, whatever), but I try to be really good about dealing with email right away, rather than reading it and coming back to it later and essentially having to deal with a message twice. Responding right away makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. And it makes me appear to be on top of things!
2. Be nice to others. This is such a no-brainer that I almost didn't list it. But it really is important to me. I always try to chat with the secretaries, be friendly with faculty in other departments, get to know staff members around campus. Being nice is just good in and of itself, but the (selfish) payoff is also huge when I need something later.
3. Check in with my work girls. I have this core group of friends in my department--friends with whom I can vent, hash things out, celebrate, gossip, whatever. I love and adore these women and have to check in with them (in person and online) every single day. When I'm connected to my colleagues, I do better work. And enjoy it more.
4. Read blogs. I learn so much (about teaching, writing, etc.) from them.
5. Kiss and hug my babies at home. Nothing relaxes and rejuvenates me more.
Labels: memes



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home