Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Talking back

I'm using Audacity this quarter to make digital audio recordings of my feedback on students' texts. I started playing with it a little last spring when I was teaching online, but I'm really getting into it this quarter with my face-to-face students.

Anna and Kate have gotten used to seeing me working on my laptop with my little telemarketer headphones on, talking into the microphone near my chin. Yesterday, Anna said, "Mom, when are your students gonna talk back to you in that thing?"

Good question, huh?

Have any of you ever tried having students use Audacity to talk back to their teachers? I'm thinking it would make great sense, especially for online students. And since the software's free and so easy to use, might it be do-able?

4 Comments:

At October 18, 2006 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not try it ? If you have become comfortable using it, you can try it with your class. I don't use it, but I have always felt that students gain something from hearing about their papers--written comments can be misinterpreted because the student can't hear our real voice.

This topic is one that we ought to post on CCE (after TYCA!).

 
At October 18, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger undine said...

I haven't had students use Audacity, but it sounds like a good idea.

 
At October 24, 2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, You ought to get in contact with Sharon Gerald at Composition Southeast. She is using Audacity, too. Here's the link:

http://compsoutheast.blogspot.com/

 
At October 26, 2006 8:00 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Thanks, Joanna!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home