Sunday, October 22, 2006

Rocking

I was out of town for a few days, and when I got back last night, Kate asked me to rock her. "Like when I was a baby," she said. She hadn't asked for that in ages. We sat in the old rocker that'd been in the girls' nursery, the rocker in which I'd nursed them and patted their little backs and sung to them.

We rocked last night, her long legs dangling between the spindles on the sides of the chair. She sucked her thumb and twirled her hair. I sang Nanci Griffith songs.

The rhythm, the lyrics, the smell of fresh-washed hair, the heft of her five-year-old body resting in mine: life doesn't get much better than this.

2 Comments:

At October 27, 2006 7:29 PM, Blogger susan said...

It's pretty cool when a getting-older kid still wants to be a baby in a way: what sweet connections.

And beatiful photos in that previous post, btw. What was your confernece presentation about?

 
At November 04, 2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Hi Susan: Yes, it's very cool. The funny thing, though, is that I asked Kate the next night if I could rock her again. Her response: "No, I just want to go to bed."

Gotta savor the rocking and cuddling when you get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home