Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pointer




There's a pedestrian bridge/sculpture on my campus that intrigues me. In fact, I'm going to talk about the thing, briefly, as part of a conference presentation I'll be making this week.

I took pictures of the bridge-slash-sculpture the other day. These photos show just a few of the figures that adorn it. I'd never noticed the figure of the pointing man (which is actually a reference to another sculpture on campus) until I took these photos. But it works well with the point I want to make about this bridge in my presentation. I love when that happens!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At October 17, 2006 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been coming back to these photos and thinking about them, Do you have a photo of the whole thing? The pointing guy looks interesting--he seems to be layered (like the "a")--was this a structural choice or an aesthetic one? It reminds me of a folded -up string of paper dolls.

Will you tell us what your talk is about?

 
At October 17, 2006 10:08 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Joanna--

I didn't take a photo of the whole bridge because I already have a pretty, glossy picture of it--a professional one taken by the college's marketing people. So I'll use that professional one in my talk. But as far as posting it on my blog: would that be a copyright violation or something?

About my talk: it's for TYCA Midwest. I'm talking about a community-based writing project that my colleagues and I have been doing with GED students. I'm using the bridge images at the beginning of my presentation. I'm juxtaposing our beautiful New York-artist-designed bridge with another local landmark: an ugly, rusty overpass in a poor part of town, a part of town where many of our GED students come from.

I'm also using the bridge in a way that the college probably wouldn't like: I want to point out how we have this structure that, according to our own promotional materials, is supposed to represent our mission to reach out to the community--and yet the bridge connects an administrative building with a...

...parking garage! And the pointing man figure: he's referring to another well-known sculpture on our campus--so it's all just more self-referential stuff, ya know?! Uggh.

You're right about the layered effect of the symbols on the bridge. Apparently, that's the artist's signature thing.

Thanks for asking!!

 
At October 17, 2006 11:26 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I forgot to mention: the theme of the TYCA Midwest conference is: "Crossing Bridges: Encouraging Transitions and Transformations."

Conference attendees are probably going to be sick to death of bridge images and metaphors--but I couldn't resist on this one! Oh well. (At least I'm being critical of certain attempts at bridge-building, I guess!)

We'll see how it goes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home