To do: fall 06
School starts back up for me on Sept. 20. A round-up of what I need to do this quarter:
In the next two weeks:
- Clean/ straighten my office at work.
- Clean out/ organize my computer desktop at work.
- Get my syllabi together (two comp classes; one first-year seminar).
- Tackle the writing center: finish schedule for fall; update website; hold staff meeting; etc. (I don't think I've mentioned here that I'm going to be our new writing center coordinator, starting in the fall. I'll need lots of advice from Pi!).
- Do a gazillion tasks for MDD (acronym for a project my colleagues and I do every fall with GED students).
- Get back into the blog thing--writing and reading. (I've been so bad in this regard--I didn't even know that Shelly got a full-time job until she mentioned it in comments here!)
The rest of the quarter:
- Finish a draft of an article I promised someone.
- Get my talk together for a conference in October.
- Start putting together my tenure portfolio. (OMG, Ing!!! I almost forgot to put this one on the list!)
- Tackle more writing center stuff: AccuTrack training, ESL stuff, housekeeping, etc.
- Do a gazillion more tasks for MDD.
- Maintain the blog thing.



6 Comments:
Congrats on the Writing Center gig! Welcome back to blog land!
Yes, this is a good list.
You'll be great. I think my main piece of advice after doing it for one semester so far is not to try to do it all at once. Even if the center you are inheriting is in good shape--unlike mine--you can only change so many things at a time. If it is something you think you want to keep doing after this quarter (maybe you are already committed to it), don't think you are going to create miracles in a semester.
That is *such* sensible advice, Pi! Thank you!
Congrats on the writing center job! I agree with Pi's advice--make a short list of a couple really critical and "do-able" things you know you can acoomplish and tackle them one at a time.
Yes, that portfolio. I had hoped to do some this summer - alas, that did not happen! I'll hopefully have it done by end of year, but I won't submit it until the last minute. We can talk about that sometime - the pros and cons of timing.
Post a Comment
<< Home