"A Monster Without a Head"
Writing Center stuff is on my mind right now, and I figure the blog's as good a place as any to start sorting it out. (Well, actually, a better place, since I can get feedback.)
I just finished this book about writing-center and writing-program management. One recommendation that several of the contributors make--and it's pretty commonsensical--is that newbie coordinators/directors start by categorizing and prioritizing the various issues they face. So that's something I need to do.
It ain't pretty. In many ways, in fact, our writing center is kind of a mess. The comment I've heard most often from colleagues this summer: "Hey, I hear you're taking over the writing center. Good luck with that. I don't envy you at all."
Umm, thanks?
The mess isn't at all the fault of the previous coordinator. It's way more institutional than that. Just one "little" example: for almost the entire past academic year, full-time unionized faculty were operating under a "Work to the Rule" situation in protest of our administration's refusal to negotiate a new contract. That is, we stopped doing "extra" work--committee work, lead-instructor work, coordinator work, etc. So there was no writing center coordinator for almost a year. The center remained open, the tutors--all adjuncts teaching in our writing program--continued to tutor, and our department secretary handled the bare-minimum administrative tasks. The center survived, but it was, as one of the tutors described it to me recently, "a monster without a head."
Work to the Rule ended--unsuccessfully for us union folks--in June. My department chair retired that month, and all kinds of roles got shifted around. Hence, the writing center job opened up.
Anyway, I've spent the last couple of months talking informally with our tutors (and others)about our center: finding out what works, what could be improved, etc. I have WAY more to find out, but here's what I'm hearing so far:
Personnel
- There've been no training or professional-development opportunities for tutors for at least the past year.
- There've been no staff meetings for at least a year.
- We have no official receptionist. If a tutor happens to have an open slot, he/she helps students sign in, answers the phone, etc. But too often, all tutors are busy working with students.
- Many tutors don't know each other; they want a stronger sense of collegiality.
- Some tutors need to work on interpersonal skills (or, as several people termed it, "customer-care skills").
Record Keeping
- My (new) department chair wants better record keeping--more data about who visits the center, what skills they work on, what college division they're coming from, etc. (I should mention that my department chair served as writing center coordinator in the nineties, and she diligently gathered these kinds of statistics; apparently, they haven't been gathered in any useful way since then.)
- All record keeping--from sign-in forms to tutor-report forms, etc.--is done by paper. Last year, the school purchased and installed AccuTrack software so that we could keep records electronically, but nobody's figured out how to use the software yet. (See the Work to the Rule discussion above.)
Philosophy and Policies
- ESL issues: Huge, huge concern among many tutors and teachers. Most tutors feel woefully undertrained in dealing with ESL issues. To make matters worse, there've been major miscommunication problems between the writing center and the ESL tutoring center, often resulting in students getting shuffled back and forth between the two centers.
- Approaches to grammar instruction: Since its inception in the eighties, our center has had a clearly-advertised policy about not being a "proofreading service." Apparently, though, some tutors interpret the policy to mean that they're not supposed to help students with sentence-level concerns at all. Other tutors, according to some reports, do nothing but mark up errors on students' papers.
Technology
- The center has just two computers--one Mac and one PC. The PC doesn't have Word installed on it. (???!)
- See "record keeping" category above.
Space
- The center shares space with the Math Lab, the ESL Tutoring Center, and the Science Tutoring Center. It's LOUD in there.
Other
(These items haven't really come up in discussions, but they're things I'd love to see happen. Some day.)
- The addition of peer tutors. (Right now, all tutors are adjuncts teaching in our writing program.)
- Greater sense of the writing center as campus resource (e.g., offering workshops to faculty across disciplines, especially since we don't have a WAC program.)
Whew.
Okay, next up: prioritizing.
Any thoughts?



6 Comments:
Good advice from Collin.
Your situation doesn't sound all that different from mine when I took on our center this past semester. The only real difference is that we didn't have the reasons you do. We had a coordinator; he just wasn't doing the job!
Here's what I did this past spring. I created a tutoring manual (if you'd like, I'll send you a copy via e-mail). It has daily procedures, tips on runnning a session, and a pedagogical approach. I schedule a staff meeting and made it clear EVERYONE had to be there (schedule two if necessary). At that meeting, I outlined our philosophy and went through the manual (I didn't read it to them, but instead glossed the various sections and had them ask questions). This really was our training session (woefully inadequate, but all I could do at the time). I recommended readings from the St. Martin's book and the Bedford book for tutors--had them all xeroxed and ready to go.
Then I worked on the center's image. I threw out the old policy statement and rules. I changed the physical space as much as I could (for example, setting tables up so tutors had to sit next to students rather than across from them). All the signs around the place where re-written to be student-friendly. I created flyers and brochures and started stuffing mailboxes and plastering the campus. (An aside: a comment I got early on that was almost as frustrating as yours: "Oh, we still have a writing center?")
I guess, in short, my first semester was spent changing the atmosphere and getting us back on the map. We still have paper record-keeping, which is fine during the semester, but at the semester's end when you need to put a report together, it's a bitch. I need to look into a computer system. I also need to do formal observations of tutors and provide them with more training and pro-dev opportunities. But it really can't all be done at once.
Phew. Let me know if you'd like me to send you stuff. Even if it isn't all useful to you, you'll get an idea of what I did and what still needs to be done.
You'll be great, Deb.
Echoing Collin . . . .
Pick your battles and work from that . . . and don't try to take on too much at any one time. I work in a Writing Center, so if you want samples of forms or anything, let me know through email, and I'm happy to send you anything that'll help you.
Collin, Pi, and Billie have excellent advice, and it sounds as though you have a lot on your plate. About "is the writing center still there?": our writing center tutors do 5-minute presentations in writing classes, just letting students know where they are, what the hours are, and what the services are.
I think that Collin, pi and Billie all have given you the best suggestions anyone could, so I'll just echo a few thoughts.
Regarding changing the atmosphere/image (good idea, pi!): is there any way that you could get another room for the center? The loudness factor is big issue--if I had to tutor in your center, I'd be too distracted to be useful.I hope that your answer isn't that your school is bursting with people and has no extra space!
Enlist your chair, enlist the dean and find a new place where it's quiet.
Our intake process is that students sign in electronically (though a student aid does the computer work.), and then fill out "the yellow sheet" which lists who they are and why they are visiting the center. After the tutoring session is over, the tutor takes the sheet, fills it out and puts it in a file so that one of the administrative assistants can input the data (nothing personal, like names or id's). The Writing Center director likes to skim them from time to time, but within a week or two, the yellow sheets are given to the instructor. I hand them back to my students.
Usually, there's a wait before a student is called in to be tutored, so we have a stack of chairs lined up for them. Let me jump back a bit and say that once a student signs in, his name and course are added to a sequence which is transferred to the computer in the tutoring room.
If you want copies of forms, let me know.
This whole process of intake and record-keeping brings up all kinds of issues, like confidentiality, funding and so forth. Good luck to you. Are you getting compensated for it?
You've already gotten excellent advice, and I would second all of it. I just want to add something about attitude. Don't let those "I don't envy you" comments get to you--in some ways, you have a wonderful situation. You have so many possible directions to go in, and almost anything you do will be an improvement over the current situation. In some ways, your situation can actually give you more freedom that the Writing Center leader might normally have.
I coordinated my school's Writing Center for four years and would do it again. Our situation wasn't as rough as yours, but historically, the WC has been ignored or undervalued by my college. I found that I actually had quite a bit of freedom because of that.
Take a deep breath. You'll be fine. Good luck.
Oh my gosh, my blog peeps ROCK! Such great insights and suggestions!
Collin: great advice re prioritizing. Probably can't use TutorTrac, since my school spent $ last year on this AccuTrack thing. But I'll check it out.
Pi: Yes, yes, PLEASE send me your stuff (debblog@gmail.com). Great ideas about public relations and image. Like you, I need to re-write our policies, etc. in more student-friendly ways. I've been a little hesitant about offending the previous coordinators by doing this...but really, it has to be done. (Most of our policies are written in a really negative way, listing all the things students and tutors can't or shouldn't do.)
Undine: Yes, our tutors do that too--or used to, at least. And one of the tutors just suggested to me that we set up a booth during welcome-week activities--another good way to get our message out there, perhaps.
Joanna: ah, yes, the space thing--definitely on my list! Thanks for bringing up the confidentiality thing too--I need to look into that. And BTW, I've never given tutor reports back to my own students...but that's a terrific idea!
Liz: Thank you so much for confirming something that I've started to suspect--that there can be a certain kind of power in the WC's marginalized position. Awesome.
Post a Comment
<< Home