Sunday, September 17, 2006

Magic

Anna at soccer games last year: She's the kid most likely to be facing the wrong direction. The one who's more interested in her attire than the game. The one, bless her little heart, crossing the center line when she's not supposed to. The one who occassionally runs toward the ball but then is too timid to actually kick it. The one whose feet make contact with the ball maybe six or seven times the whole season. By accident. The one who whose favorite part of the game is the time spent on the sidelines, cheering.

Anna at her first soccer game this year (today): She's the one playing defense, the one scanning the field and anticipating where the ball is headed. The one who understands that she needs to back up her best friend M, the other defender. The one who kicks the ball over and over, in the right direction! The one who actually goes after the ball! The one with the ginormous smile on her face the whole time!

I was stunned. Absolutely stunned. How did this happen?!!

When the game was over, we praised her to the sky. Especially for the smile, for having had fun--FUN!--out there.

Later, driving home from the grocery store, she said, "Mom, I really was good out there today, wasn't I?"

"Yes!" I said.

"It felt magical," she said. "It felt like a magical moment."

The difference a year makes.

4 Comments:

At September 18, 2006 9:40 AM, Blogger ccw said...

Good for her!

 
At September 19, 2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said...

Way to go, Anna!

 
At September 21, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger IngThing said...

How sweet and really cool! My son Ian had a similar experience though it's his first season. Now if I could only help him to understand that practice is just as important as the games!

 
At September 28, 2006 4:44 PM, Blogger red. said...

aw, that's so cute. I remember when I was that girl (except for me it was softball), when I hit my first triple. It's so exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home