On running
Shelly asked me to blog more about running. Glad to oblige.
I ran track and cross-country in high school. So long ago. It was a great sport for me: I'm not athletic or physically strong or coordinated. But those things don't matter (too) much in running, especially if you're a long-distance runner, like I was. The big thing is just endurance--having the will to keep moving. I was good at that.
After high school, I went long stretches--years, sometimes--without running at all. Then I'd get back into it and hate, hate, HATE it for a few weeks until my body adjusted. But I wouldn't keep at it for long: the weather would get too hot, I'd get too busy with work or kids or whatever. One thing that *would* motivate me: signing up for a race. But after the race was done, I'd go back to my old, sedentary ways.
Right now, I've got four things motivating me:
1. My faculty union put together a team for this weekend's Race for the Cure. My goal is simply to finish before the walkers finish.
2. I have high cholesterol, and my doctor's been on me to do more cardio work.
3. At 38, I'm realizing that, yes indeed, bodies really do change with age. I used to be able to lose weight just by *thinking* about it. Not the case now.
4. I really, really like that endorphin explosion you get from vigorous exercise.
That last item is the biggest for me: My head feels better after I run. Clearer. Whatever mind work I have to do the rest of the day--teaching, writing, grading--comes more easily and seems richer somehow.
The big challenge will be to keep up with the running after Saturday. I'm thinking that blogging my progress--maybe even blogging my mileage, like Addy does with her walking--might help.



8 Comments:
I've been thinking I might try jogging.
Currently I walk 6 miles a day to and from work, but alas, I am looking for a new job. And I doubt I will maintain the luxury of being able to walk.
Though I suspect it will be very difficult for me to stick with it when and if I start.
Nor do I have any idea how long it will take me to be able to comfortable run for 40 - 60 minutes...
Oh and shoes are expensive. But yeah, this post has me feeling more motivated to give it a go.
This post has me feeling more motivated, too; maybe I can turn the "walk/run" I do each day into more of a run than a walk.
Deb: You made me feel guilty for neglecting exercise this week, so I went for a walk this morning! Also- I changed my blog address to http://untenured-no-no.blogspot.com/
Take care,
Addy
Hey I am glad I finally found your blog!!!
I used run in high school too, but I was a sprinter. I was plagued with many leg problems which I wonder if they were a preview to my battle with Rheumatoid Arthritis now. I would love to start running again, but I am afraid of what the pounding would do to my joints. So, I power walk on a regular basis.
It is true that exercise, no matter what type, does wonders for you mind and soul. A couple of my colleagues and I work out on a regular basis after we finish teaching our classes. It’s great to have the motivation.
Maybe we should start a “blog workout club”????
Addy: I'll update my blogroll, etc.
Solace: Thanks for visiting! A blog workout club sounds great!
I miss you! *hugs*
whoops :-P I'm that last anonymous person...
My running days are looooong over, but I adore walking. Lately I've been lazy, tho, and find any old excuse will do. If I walk during my lunch hour, my whole afternoon goes better. And my head's been awful foggy of late....why is it that we KNOW what the best thing to do is, and yet we still don't do it? (Rhetorical....)
Accountability usually works for me....but right now I don't feel accountable to anyone! That has its pros and cons....
Post a Comment
<< Home