Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Ghetto points?

I apparently scored points with some of my developmental comp students today. And I feel kind of weird about it.

We were talking about neighborhoods, and about writing about neighborhoods. I mentioned the neighborhood I used to live in (a cookie-cutter middle-class suburb) and the neighborhood I live in now, which is urban and older but still pretty solidly middle class.

None of the students in the class lives in either of those neighborhoods. One of them asked, "Ms. Deb [I don't tell them to call me that, but some of them do], have you ever been in a ghetto neighborhood?"

"Well, no. Except for Z. I've spent a little bit of time in Z, if that counts," I said.

Gasps all around. Strange looks on their faces, looks I couldn't quite interpret.

"What?" I said. (I was thinking that maybe Z didn't really qualify as "ghetto" in their minds.)

"That's like the WORST of the worst," someone said. "You've really been there?"

I gave them some background: Some of my colleagues and I work on a special project with GED students, and I've spent some time over the last couple of years in Z because of that project. Last summer I worked with some of the GED teachers and students to make a little video about the GED center and the neighborhood itself, so I got to see some of the high and low spots in Z.

My students were impressed. One of them, who lives in Z, said, "See, that's why you're cool. 'Cause you've been in the ghetto."

Then I felt like a fraud, like I was presenting my minimal experience with Z as though I'd been immersed in the neighborhood.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute." I said. "It's not like I lived there. I've never even been inside a house there. I can't claim to really know the neighborhood."

Right away, one of them asked, "Were you ever there at night?"

Yes, I told him. A couple of times. Not real late, but after dark.

"Well, you get ghetto points then," he said. And he smiled and high-fived the woman next to him.

Everybody laughed. And then we moved on to a discussion about other neighborhoods.

At the end of class, I usually have each student write an "inkshed," a brief anonymous comment about class or about what they learned or whatever. Today, one of them wrote:


My teacher has some ghetto points. You go, girl Deb.


I'm not quite sure what to make of all this. Part of me feels like I exploited this little bit of experience I have with Z in order to make a connection with my students. But then even after I tried to explain how much of an outsider I really was, my small foray into Z still seemed to count so much for them. And that saddens me somehow.

6 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb--I'm curious about why you feel like you've exploited anything--if you had students from, say, Canada, and you mentioned vacationing there, would you still have been bothered by the students' reactions? I'm with Shelly on this--it makes you more human and less like a type ("teacher"), and with developmental students, I do think that that makes a difference.

 
At May 04, 2006 7:28 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Joanna and Shelly--I guess I was troubled because I almost felt like I was...I don't know...co-opting a place that really *isn't* my own. It's hard to explain.

But your responses make me feel better about it--so thanks!

 
At May 04, 2006 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Students are so good at identifying the "real thing." They obviously didn't think you were trying to be something you are not just to connect with them. You didn't represent it in a false way, and they appreciate that, I think. I wouldn't feel bad about it (though I do understand your misgivens).

Something like this happens to me when my students find out I know some of the music--esp. if its rap or hip-hop--that they listen to. I often worry then if they think I'm trying too hard to be "cool" but they seem to figure out that I really do know/like some of their music and I'm not pretending. I think that's the key--it's got to be genuine or they sniff it out.

 
At May 04, 2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Yes, Pi, you totally nailed it!! You said what I wasn't able to articulate about my misgivings. Thank you for that--and for the other bit of commentary about genuineness, which makes sense too.

My blog friends--all of them--are so smart!

 
At May 06, 2006 4:14 PM, Blogger comebacknikki said...

I'm a little late on commenting, but I just wanted to say that I agree with shelly & joannna. It's something that allows you to appear more human to the students and gives them a element of trust- like you understand them just a little more because they have something they can relate to.

I deal with this lot b/c I used to teach classes on-site at different projects (mainly Rockwell and Cabrini). My current students often five me the whole "cool points" routine b/c of that...as they also do when/if they find out my b-friend is black. It used to bother me, but I've learned to come to terms with it and use it to my advantage - I think it helps my students (mostly the developmental crowd) feel more comfortable with me and willing to take risks with their writing.

I hope my babble made some sense! :)

 
At May 06, 2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Nikki--Absolutely. Makes great sense. Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home