Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I know she's in speech therapy and all...

...but I can't bring myself to correct Kate when she says the following:


  • "up sleeves" for short-sleeve shirts
  • "down sleeves" for long-sleeve shirts
  • "new brand" instead of brand new (as in, "look at my new-brand shoes!")
  • "belt seat" instead of seatbelt
  • "stirk" instead of skirt. (I particularly love this one. Not sure why.)

Hmm. In looking at the list, I'm thinking maybe I should have her tested for dyslexia? I'll have to ask her speech teacher about this tomorrow.

10 Comments:

At April 20, 2006 7:20 AM, Blogger Nan said...

My favorite of Robbie's is "Aminals" for "animals."

 
At April 20, 2006 9:37 AM, Blogger ccw said...

You are funny. I think up/down sleeves is really cute, but I understand your need to correct. Kid L did this sort of thing for what seemed like ages.

 
At April 20, 2006 9:45 AM, Blogger Deb said...

CCW: actually, the thing is, I really don't want to correct her because a.) lots of what she says is so cute; and b.) I fear that correcting her will make her even more self-conscious (in a negative way)about her language. But her speech therapist seems to think that we *should* be pointing out the "correct" ways to say things.

Uggh. I don't know! I mean, I can understand getting her to say "skirt" correctly, but the other stuff ("up sleeves, for instance)--it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Cate: my goddaughter says the same thing! :)

 
At April 20, 2006 10:29 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Shelly--I know. I always thought speech therapy was *just* about pronunciation. But I've learned that it's also about grammar, receptive language (how well you understand what's being said), neuroligical concerns, physical stuff (swallowing, chewing), and more! I was surprised!

 
At April 20, 2006 2:35 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I like "up sleeves" and "down sleeves." And I totally can see why you love "stirk." :)

 
At April 20, 2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

When I was a kid I used the term Outside in, instead of inside out. My mom corrected me on it, and I argued that my way was equally corret.

That was the last I heard about it.

 
At April 21, 2006 6:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't correct mr. t. and he says so many things wrong -- the kids are starting to correct him when he says un-nice or when the lack of any helping verbs makes the sentence unclear. But he and I don't speak in English together and it would be really hard to change and start correcting him now.

 
At April 22, 2006 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timna, interesting--how does he take to being corrected? Does it work? I'm curious because isn't mr. t a second language learner and an adult, so it's a different ballpark? Do your kids have one or two first languages?
Deb et al, I remember that my oldest niece, now ten and well adjusted, used to reverse subject and object pronouns, saying "I hold you" for "you hold me." So I wonder how much of this is developmental and outgrowable.

 
At April 23, 2006 8:49 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Joanna--You just made me remember one of my all-time favorites: When Anna was really little, she'd reach her arms up to me or Todd and say, "Hold you me." We loved it!!

 
At February 16, 2007 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it 1983 buick regal sale http://www.two-lips-shoes.info/swimsuits-lily-pulitzer.html didrex Arizona aging grants meridia legal Wynn twins school of dance low price didrex 0 1 0air jordans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home