Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bhujangasana

One of the things I love about my current yoga teacher is that she's teaching us the Sanskrit words for the poses (asanas). My former yoga teacher never used Sanskrit: she'd always just refer to the cobra pose or bow pose or fish pose or whatever. I didn't realize what I was missing.

The Sanskrit names are so gorgeous. For instance: bhujangasana (boo-jang-GAHS-anna). Isn't that the most lovely thing you've ever heard? Bhujangasana. (It helps that my yoga teacher is also a singer, so every word that comes out of her mouth has a melodic quality to it.)

I take yoga with two of my best friends from work. Bhujangasana has become our code word for "relax, everything's gonna be fine." If Bek is stressed out about a class or a meeting or her dad's health, I stick my head into her office and say, slowly and rhythmically, "bhu-jang-a-sana." She does the same for me.

The word itself--the sound of it--is calmness for us. I just love that.

If you take yoga (Luckybuzz?), what's your favorite word?

8 Comments:

At April 12, 2006 12:09 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

Hi, I'm twelve. I hear bhujangasana and immediately giggle and start thinking of dirty definitions.

Seriously though, it really is a cool word, and I like how you've made it code.

 
At April 12, 2006 6:47 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I love the code too.

I've been doing yoga to DVDs that use the english words...but I remember loving the Sanskrit when I did yoga before. Can't remember specifics right now--but I think there's a reason it's the "language of the gods". :)

 
At April 12, 2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Sheepish: you crack me up.

Lucky: I've been thinking about getting a yoga DVD. Any recommendations?

 
At April 12, 2006 10:40 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I have two DVDs that I really like. The one I started back up with was "Yoga for Weight Loss"--I like it because it's got 4 "instructors" at varying levels of flexibility that you can follow (diff. camera angles). I also really like the Shiva Rea Yoga Shakti--there are 4 different routines, and you can program it to include the poses you like...it's called the "Yoga matrix." :)

But I might go do yoga with real live humans someday...

 
At April 12, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Thanks, Luckybuzz!

 
At April 19, 2006 8:08 PM, Blogger negativecapability said...

This is why I've become a yoga snob - once you go Sanskrit, it sounds silly without it. My favorite is mula bandha...especially because you're always being told to "find" or "hold" it.

 
At February 20, 2007 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! soy skin care Light blue area rug Online occupational therapy classes for continuing education Paxil   alcohol hairy women movies free

 
At March 03, 2007 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Just for jeeps Samsung cellular phone chargers Turbo manifold for audi s4 Beauty skin care chloe anal Mazda touring

 

Post a Comment

<< Home