Bad day
[This should probably be a journal entry--not a blog entry--but I'm gonna leave it up for a little while anyway.]
My mom sent me an early Mother's Day card today. The inside, in typical Hallmark fashion, reads:
How do you do it all?
It's got to be difficult
finding a balance
between your work
and your role as mom.
I realize it's not very easy
to do what you do
day in and day out--
but somehow you do it,
and you do it really well.
Oh, geez.
I know my mom means well. (Backstory: this weekend, when I was visiting my parents, I mentioned how difficult the whole parenting thing has been lately. My mom's initial response: "Can't you just work part-time?" I took offense to that suggestion, she back-pedaled, and now she's making up for it--and, I'm sure, communicating her genuine concern--with today's card.) But the card--and its hollow sentiment--could NOT have come at a worse time.
Today was absolutely hellish. With Anna, that is.
From the moment I picked her up from after-school care until she went to bed tonight, she whined, cried, threw fits, argued with her sister, fought with me...the works. She was upset that I wouldn't let her have a friend over this afternoon (she had one over yesterday); she was mad that Kate and I had gotten a snack at our favorite coffee shop before picking Anna up; she didn't like what we were having for dinner--that kind of stuff. And I hate, hate, hate to admit this, but we just set each other off sometimes. I bark back at her. I sulk. I blow up.
She's only seven, but sometimes my relationship with her reminds me of my own relationship with my mom when I was a teenager: volatile, on-edge, strained.
How can that be? She's only seven.
I, however, am the exact same age my mother was when I was sixteen. It must be a problem on the mother end of things, right?
Of course. It *is* a problem on my end. Because, again, she's only seven. And because of my work, to a large extent. I mean, *the* reason I was so damned on edge with Anna today was that, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, "I've got a boatload of student papers to read, two conference proposals to write, an annual self-appraisal that's overdue, etc., etc., etc. " I was, as I often am, thinking about all the work stuff that I just can't seem to get done during the hours the kids are at school or daycare.
So what happens is this: My physical self is with the kids, but my mental self is worrying about all the work shit I still have to do. So, of course, that's not good for the kids. Or for the work. And the worst part, for me, is that when I'm right in the thick of it--when the kids are acting up--I find myself feeling way more attracted to the job stuff; I'd *rather* be writing that conference proposal or whatever. Then I feel horrible guilt about my parenting.
Oh, F. This sucks. This situation, this day, this post. If you've read this far, thanks for putting up with me.



16 Comments:
Aw, Deb. I don't have any advice on the parent side, but I'm sorry you're having a rough time. For what it's worth, I'm in my mid-30s and my mom and I still drive each other crazy, very often. And have enormous love and respect, at the same time.
I've had a couple drinks. I might not be so coherent. But I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Hang in there, Deb. It's the end of the academic year, and we all are extra tired. Not to discount the problems you are having with your daughter, but the end of the intensifies things.
I don't know what it's like being a parent. Can you bribe them to leave you alone right now? books? movies? Lock them in the closet and feed them jello, sugar-free of course, through the cracks? send them to your mother's? :-)
I do know that mother-daughter relationships are complicated. My own is just so damned cheerful all the time. I get upset that she's not more real with me.
For me, I got a reminder yesterday to be physically present. I didn't fall down, but I twisted my ankle on the way to class. When I'm too much in my head, the ground rushes up to meet me. Quickly. And, now that I can recognize it, I can laugh. Silly me.
I don't know why I told you that - except maybe so you could laugh with me falling down and being so clumsy, or know that I feel for you being pulled in so many directions at the end of the semester, or maybe I wanted to tell you to wear flats today just in case!
I hope things are better today.
Don't be so hard on yourself. She may be only 7, but that does not mean that you are a bad parent for being frustrated/upset/annoyed/sad about the way the two of you relate to one another at times. We all have days like this. On Monday, I would have given you Kid L; playing in traffic seemed more appealing than being in my house parenting.
You are a great mother! I hope that today is better.
Hang in there, Deb. Yes, yesterday was a bad day. Those bad days come and they go. Keep in mind that today is a new day and you get to start over. So does Anna.
One thing that I wish I had done more with my own daughter when she was younger and when we had bad days like the one you describe: I wish I had hugged her more. She didn't deserve it and I didn't want to do it, but we both needed it.
However, hang in there. You are a great mom and your daughters are lucky to have you as their mother.
I am always like that by the end of the semester ....
But I figure I make for it over the summer when I am infinitely more relaxed and patient with my family.
(The nice thing about my relationship with my daughter is that now she is in college and we can whine to each other how stressed out we are because of all the work at the end of the semester.)
I don't have kids, so I feel a bit inadequate commenting on this, but it does seem to me, Deb, that you are really beating yourself up and undeservedly. You are doing the best you can right now, and it will get better when the semester ends. It sounds like Anna is a challenge and there may be nothing you can do right in her eyes at the moment, but she'll get over it. It's obvious you love her.
Thank god for all my blog friends! You guys make me feel much better. Really, thank you *so* much!
(The only bad thing: it's not actually the end of the term for me. We're on quarters, and we're only halfway through. So I can't chalk it all up to end-of-the-term craziness!)
Oh Deb, don't be so hard on yourself. Make some time for some more blog surfing and you'll find plenty of stories like yours today, although they never seem as prominent as the wonderful/easy/funny stories. We just don't get a lot of cultural support for these challenging moments. And it is so hard when your head is in one place and your body is in another. But hang in there, and in a day or two or three things will probably be different--maybe not all the way different, but different enough that you can get a different perspective and be less critical of yourself. These push-pull dynamics are part of how we assert ourselves.
But these growing moments do suck when they're happening, for sure. So I hope you find a way to do something gentle for yourself. And find something that might be a nice connecting time with Anna, too. But be gentle with yourself. You're wonderful.
Maybe you need some time to yourself?
Hope the weekend has many relaxing moments to get back to a less stressful interaction.
big hug.
I am not a parent, not by a longshot. But I am a child to parents. I also have a sister. And she was very difficult, according to my mother, when she was a pre-teen. So I don't know that the age is anything to worry about.
My parents still drive me crazy. My mom was in town over easter. She started laying in with advice about my art, and what I should be doing with it. It made me so damn mad. And put me in a bad mood for a few days.
Child/parent relationships always seems strange to me. But so long as the love is there, and everyone knows it, that's what is important.
I went back to work when my son was four and my daughter was two. I look back on the decision to return with regret, but when I mention it to my daughter, who is now 31, she says for me not to worry about it...that she turned out ok didn't she?
But that's not it. Now that I'm older I see so clearly what is really important in life.
When I retired from teaching I thought the school would miss me...they didn't, some one just stepped in and took my place. All of the programs I had implemented kept right on going or actually were discontinued and no one seemed to be the worse for it.
I like to think that I made a difference in the lives of my students, but if I did, few of them acknowledge it...some yes, but to the majority I have been forgotten.
But to my own children, I am unforgettable...both the stressed out teacher me, and the soft caring mommy me. They remember the good things and the bad. Thankfully they turned out well...but there was so much more I could have done with them, taught them, enjoyed with them, things that would have improved their lives today.
The money helped, and my husband and I had a very disfunctional relationship... so much so that school got me away and took my mind off of it, so maybe it helped in those ways. But I will always, always regret not being with them when they were so very small. Now I feel like I am getting some of that back by getting to be with my grandkids so much...but it also reminds me what I didn't do with my own kids.
I'm sure your mom has a different perspective than you do. Don't be too hard on her, maybe she just doesn't want you to have any regrets.
Cate--
Thank you for writing all that--I really needed to hear it. Your distinction between what your colleagues/students remember and what your kids remember is so important. This line, in particular, will haunt me (in a good way): "But to my own children, I am unforgettable...both the stressed out teacher me, and the soft caring mommy me."
Thanks for helping me better understand my mom's perspective.
(I'm so glad I have *you* as a blog friend.)
Deb: I can totally relate to this post. I am an assistant professor (with an assistant professor husband!) with one daughter (who is coincidentally 6 and a half). I also feel like kicking myself after I lose it over things that may seem trivial. When my mom was my current age, I was 15 (so when I was my daughter's age, my mom was only 26!) We spend time together as a family on evenings and weekends, but there are plenty of times when both of us (husband and myself) are mentally elsewhere. I don't know that it's fair to say that only working parents can be guilty of that, though (think about it). Don't be too hard on yourself, because that negative energy won't help anyone (including your kids). As stressful as our jobs are, we also have perks (such as more potential time at home), and our daughter has traveled all over the country with us for conferences (we always do sight-seeing excursions, too). Try to look at the positive aspects, too!
Hang in there and enjoy the time that you are with your kids as much as you can! These are just my thoughts- not that I consider myself a model parent or anything- I think we all do the best we can.
Take care
Adenostoma--
Thanks for stopping by...and for the good advice!
Deb, I'm finally getting around to catching up on blog reading, which I had let slide lately. . . . just wanted to say that 1) I've had the same kind of days with Lily, and 2) the fact that you are bothered by the way the day went is evidence of what a good mother you are. Hang in there.
Post a Comment
<< Home