So what am I?
The whole discussion last week about pseudonymity (too much to even link to) has me wondering: So, what am I? Am I pseudonymous, or am I onymous (or whatever the word is)?
I mean, I use my real first name. I have photos. I use my kids' real first names. But: I don't give my last name. I don't say exactly where I live or work. I don't think I'm easily googled here; I don't even have this blog listed as a public blog on blogger.
Of course, I know that if someone really wanted to figure out who I am and where I work and live, he/she could do so in about 10 seconds.
Am I pseudo-pseudonymous?
Even though I don't use my last name, I think I think of myself as being onymous (again, is that the right word?). I figure it's all safer that way: I try not to write here anything mean about students or colleagues or family members. I guess on some level, I imagine my audience here the same way I imagine an audience when I write email: I try to remember that, really, anyone anywhere could potentially read it. And could know I wrote it. So by god, I'd better be careful.
On the other hand, I think the audience addressed and invoked here is much more specific than "anyone, anywhere": I write for an audience of other bloggers -- bloggers I know in person (like students who happen to be blogging in my classes) and bloggers I know only through reading and commenting on their work.
It's interesting to me, based on recent discussions about seriousness and experimentation in blogs, that I used the word "safe" above. Am I being too safe here? Could yesterday's blogging blues be attributed to safe-ness? Sometimes I think it would be more fun/playful/risky to be truly pseudonymous. I've even thought about starting all over again with a totally pseudonymous blog.



7 Comments:
I had the issue when I was attempting to be annonymous that I would only sort of "cut loose" with what I was writing. I was never fully convinced I was even remotely annoymous and knew if I got nasty or mean or too moppey someone somewhere would find it and it would blow up in my face. I have my reasons for thinking like this, but I am probably just paranoid.
Also, I wanted to post art work and being annonymous and trying to post art work doesn't quite gel.
I am much happier and more comfortable being nymous. But that's just me.
What Jesse said about not being able to cut loose--I've found this, too. I used to have another blog where I used my first name and I began to feel "unsafe" with that. So, I started a new one and didn't identify myself. I thought, "Free at last!"
It hasn't worked that way. I think that if you don't start totally anonymous it's impossible to get there after the fact.
What if you created a persona and developed an anonymous blog just to experiment? There's no reason why you can't have two blogs or why you have stick with the one which you began.
Pi, I wonder if going anonymous but bringing old readers along doesn't mitigate some of that anonymity. Even if we don't reveal who you are, we can refer to things about you that we know from the old blog--of course, you can also delete the comments, too, so I wonder how much old readers do affect anonymity.
If you started one completely anon you would have to refrain from mentioning it to bring your "old" readers along.
Mine is semi-anon. No real names, rarely a pic of me, but pics of the girls. I think that if someone who knew me in real life stumbled across my blog they would realize it was me, but so far that hasn't happened.
I don't post too much negative stuff about family or friends so I would not be bothered if they read my blog. However, even if I did, odds are it is stuff they already know because I tend to be very open and vocal about my feelings.
This is exactly my level of onymity, as it were. And I also try hard not to be mean--except when I'm celebrity blogging. But my audience is more than bloggers, because a lot of people I know do read my blog, in fact, I'm pretty open about telling people I blog, and I'm pretty easy with letting bloggers I get to know know who I am. I am just absolutely determined not to be googleable. (Oh, and I don't blog about work, which I guess is very different from you.)
Best regards from NY!
» »
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Edmonton hotel holiday inn http://www.maternity-workout-clothes.info/ferrari_buy.html Free ionamin 30 forex+ice
Post a Comment
<< Home