Beginning-o-the-quarter Reflections: Part One
Our quarter started January 2, so we've been in class exactly two weeks. Some reflections:
1. I'm teaching a 5-day-a-week class for the first time ever. Two sections of a 5-day-a-week class, in fact. I'm second-to-the-lowest in seniority on the full-time totem pole in my department, so my teaching schedule is never ideal. My colleagues have been making sad little clucking noises when I tell them my schedule this quarter.
But so far (and of course it's very, very early), the everyday gig ain't so bad. Most of the students said they chose this schedule because they felt 50-minute classes would work better for their attention spans. And they thought daily homework would help them stay on track more effectively. So their motivation is good. Plus, we've definitely bonded already: every morning when I walk in, they're jab-jab-jabbering away.
I love that.
2. The 5-day-a-week class is also new for me because it's the first real developmental course I've ever taught. I'm using a custom-published textbook that my colleagues initially put together four years ago (before my time here). Some of the material they wrote themselves. And I'm really liking the book: it's got challenging readings that promote discussion about race, class, gender, etc.; an engaging voice; references to our community and our specific students. I feel like I'm learning a lot about developmental comp pedagogy from my colleagues.
I like that.
(The only thing I'd add for the next edition, if I'm asked: much, much more about technology and writing.)
3. Those developmental comp students are incredibly interesting and smart. I did the "I am From" poem thing with them, and some of their poems were just fabulous. I'm collecting them all into a "book" for the students, and I hope to share a couple of them here soon.
4. For the first time in seven or eight years, I'm NOT teaching my writing courses in computer-equipped classrooms. This is not my choice (it's another effect of being the low person on the totem pole for scheduling purposes).
I'm at the point where technology is pretty much essential to my conception of teaching and learning. Not central, perhaps, but still important, necessary. Emailing, discussion-boarding, accessing course materials on Blackboard, connecting to library databases, word-processing, looking up a cultural reference on google, examining (and, more recently, creating) blogs: I have a hard time imagining being in a writing class and not being able to do those things.
Until now, I'd been able to get computer sections of writing courses. No such luck this quarter. But it doesn't suck quite as much as I thought it would. It helps that I've got the developmental comp class--a completely new prep for me anyway. And I'm still putting materials on Blackboard and reserving spaces in our big computer commons area for some class periods. So I guess I'm making it work. Still, I can't help feeling hampered in some way--like I don't have all the tools I need to do my job.
I have more reflections on these opening weeks, but I have to get to another class. So Part Two to come later!



10 Comments:
When I taught I Ohio State, I taught the basic writing course five days a week, two in the computer lab. I think the consistency worked well with these students, and for me, in a lot of ways. Some quarters, I would cancel each Friday for conferences, which gave me time for them and made them feel like they were getting a day off, even though we ended up having more conferences than in other quarters.
Hi Nels. Thanks for stopping by here. That Friday conference idea is a great one; I think I might start doing that. And maybe hold the conferences in the computer commons area so that I can help them with some tech stuff too.
I have used the "I am from" poetry template in my basic writing classes, too. When there were others in the class observing, they were unable to fill in those blanks (they were trying too hard to be poetic and creative), but the BW students filled it out quickly (without overthinking) and they produced some very good texts. :-)
Right now, I'm teaching a T/TH class with the BW students, and we meet during the week (random times that fit into their schedules) for conferences. For me, the conferences have been key.
Hi Deb!
Sounds like you have your hands full of challenges this quarter. I hope you can work it out effectively and mekae room for the the family.
Love to read your stuff.
Tom--Nice to hear from you. Hope the quarter's going well!
PartsnPieces: That's so interesting about the I am From poem and the observers' trouble with it. I did the poem project in an honors comp class last quarter, and, although the honors students produced some good stuff, they *did* have a bit more trouble with the project than the BW students had.
your English class without computers?! *gasp* whatever will you do with yourself!! :)
miss ya!
Deb, I'm really interested in Item No. 3. I followed your link to your original link and then to the link to Christensen's story.
How do you posit this assignment to your class?
Michelle Palmer
I am looking forward to reading some of the poems.
Enjoyed a lot! 1989 isuzu trooper engine swap Visa business credit cards
Enjoyed a lot! sybian vibrator demo washers repair el cajon 4x4 pickup toyota
Post a Comment
<< Home