Sunday, December 11, 2005

Nutcracker firsts

I took Anna to see her first Nutcracker ballet today. She thought it was "awesome." I agreed. I've seen the Nutcracker performed in three major cities, and I thought today's performance was the best ever. It was playful and humorous and gorgeous. And quick. Each half was only about 45 minutes long--perfect for all the youngsters in the audience.

The coolest thing, though: At intermission, I ran into Chase, one of my favorite students from this quarter. He was all dressed up, and I mistook him at first for an usher.

He said, "Oh, no, I'm not working here, I'm just here to support Emily."

Who?" I said.

"Emily, my girlfriend," he said. "She's one of the dancers."

He'd mentioned at some point in class that his girlfriend did ballet, and that the two of them had moved to the midwest from Texas so she could pursue her art. But I had NO idea that she was a professional with a major company.

"Which character is she playing?" I asked.

"She's Clara. The older Clara, of course."

Wow! How cool is that?!

Turns out that Chase also used to dance professionally and had performed in the Nutcracker numerous times. But he retired last year because of some hip problems, and now he's pursuing his education.

Bravo, Chase and Emily!

DSC01310

Wide-eyed and waiting...one minute till showtime.

7 Comments:

At December 12, 2005 7:51 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

YAY for Emily! How great!

Anna looks so excited and cute in these photos.

 
At December 12, 2005 10:21 AM, Blogger Jillian said...

Wow! now that would have been pretty sporty. Amazing that you ran in to Chase, he awed me this semester through the various conversations regarding his girlfriend & their history; oh how he adores her. I sent my hillbilly father & overtly romantic mother to the Nutcracker 2 years ago.... Mom, loved it... Dad... not so much... if I ever sent him to see men "prancing" around in tights again... my life was in dire jeopardy. :-)
It warms my heart to hear of parents still opening the door to the arts for their young childeren... & esp. that Anna enjoyed it.
*Bravo* to you Deb! truly inspirational.

 
At December 12, 2005 10:46 AM, Blogger Nan said...

My grandaughter went with her other grandmother and the fifth grade class her grammy works with to see the Nutcracker week-end before last. She said it was "awesome"!

Your Anna looks beautifully awed as well.

 
At December 12, 2005 10:50 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Hey Jillian--

It's so nice to see your comment here! Thanks for reading.

Yes, it was so cool to run into Chase. And Emily is, as you can imagine, an AMAZING dancer.

 
At December 12, 2005 10:51 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Hi Cate--

Glad your granddaughter liked it too. I'd been worried that Anna would get fidgety, but she was pretty much transfixed the whole time. We'll have to make it a yearly tradition...and take grandma next year too!

 
At December 12, 2005 8:07 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Hi Eunice--

Sometimes I use Flickr, sometimes I use Picasa, and sometimes I use plain old Blogger. In Blogger, I think I've had success with the "more than one image" button...but it's been a while since I've used it. I'll check it out and see if I can give you any hints.

 
At February 06, 2007 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Efficacy and safety of vardenafil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home