Wednesday, December 14, 2005

It's okay to know

Crazy Cat Woman's recent post brought a flash of memory back for me.


Second grade. The day after Christmas. I'm in the living room with my five younger siblings, playing with my brand new, already-beloved Crissy doll with luxurious! growing! hair!

My mom's out shopping. My dad's upstairs on a ladder smearing drywall mud on the ceiling of my soon-to-be-finished new bedroom, which I'll share with two of my sisters.

I'm pulling Crissy's red ponytail in and out of the little hole at the top of her head. Her hairstyle changes from boy haircut to chin-length bob to all-the-way-down-the-back in a matter of seconds. I adore this doll. For several months before Christmas, I'd put a pillow under my shirt when my sisters and I "played dolls." I'd been awaiting the birth of baby Crissy.

So I'm playing in the middle of the living room when, for no clear reason, I'm struck by this thought: There's no Santa. There's NO Santa. I know it as surely as I've known anything in my eight years. A second before, I didn't know it. Now I do.

Nobody's told me. Kids at school haven't hinted about it. Older cousins haven't snickered at my enthusiasm for Santa. Still, somehow, I just suddenly know he's not real.

I place Crissy under the tree and tiptoe to the green couch. I'm trembling. All my brothers and sisters are joyfully playing with their new toys, oblivious to my turmoil. I'm sorry for them, for their not knowing. And jealous of them, of their not knowing.

I sit quietly, hands folded, for a long time. I'm deeply sad. And, somehow, full of guilt. Finally, I decide that I'd better make sure I'm correct. I climb the stairs to my dad, and stand under his huge ladder.

"Daddy," I say. "I have to ask you something."

"Yeah?" he says, still focusing on the ceiling.

I lower my voice to make sure the little kids don't hear me. "Um, umm...is Santa really real?"

He stops mid-smear and looks down, his mud-speckled face pained. "Why do you ask that?"

"I don't know. I just think maybe he's not real."

My dad's (usual) response: "I think you need to ask your mother when she gets home."

I go back to the green couch, too nervous to play with Crissy.


My mom arrives, refreshed from a little trip without her six young children in tow. Her face changes, though, when she sees me. We go back to her bedroom and close the door. By now, I'm crying.

Because I know there's no Santa. Because I know I've (magically?) figured out something I'm not supposed to know. Because I don't want to know. Because I feel different from the little kids now.

My mom hugs me and wipes my eyes and tells me that she was eight years old herself when she figured it all out. That it's okay to know. That I have a special role from now on: helping her make Christmas magical for the little kids.


That was the last Christmas I asked for a doll. Crissy's still my all-time favorite Christmas gift, and she's the only doll my mom saved from all those years of four little girls playing dolls.

7 Comments:

At December 14, 2005 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was eight, too. It wasn't a magical message for me; I saw the Santa presents in the trunk of the car.

I think my kids know but they don't want to tell me because that will dispel any wiggle room they have for Santa vs. Mom.

Loved this.

M. Palmer

 
At December 15, 2005 12:21 AM, Blogger ~heather said...

I can't remember an exact age I figured it out. All I can specifically remember is being very suspicious of the fact that for some reason Santa's handwriting was an awful lot like my grandmother's handwriting...

 
At December 15, 2005 8:21 AM, Blogger ccw said...

I loved reading this post!

I wonder what made your mind go in that direction? Especially while you were playing with your beautiful doll.

Thanks for sharing your story.

 
At December 15, 2005 7:54 PM, Blogger Nan said...

I don't know how old I was, but I remember asking. . .wanting them to tell me he was real. But they told me the truth, and I was so disappointed.

P.S. My favorite doll was a Miss Revlon. I still have her.

 
At December 22, 2005 11:08 AM, Blogger RussianViolets said...

I was six -- in first grade -- and I was just too skeptical a little thing to believe in it. But I remember very much feeling the way you felt, and I'm glad that you shared it.

 
At January 11, 2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter started asking when she was 6. My wife and I had already agreed that we were not going to lie about it. But we did not come right and confess. We asked her if she thought it was possible for Santa to do what he does. She went back and forth on whether or not she believed.

Finally we told her, and she seemed to like the idea. But as Christmas appproached, I think she chose to forget we told her. Last year, however, she said, "Dad, you are Santa Clause."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because your handwriting is the same as Santa's!"

I think my son, who is about three years younger and witness to all these conversations, is still undecided or choosing to believe in Santa. He does say that I am the Easter Bunny and, oddly, that his sister is the Tooth Fairy. What did she say to him?

 
At February 16, 2007 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Ferrari 355 f1 spyder

 

Post a Comment

<< Home