Love this little thing!
Today (and tomorrow, when we're off for Veteran's Day), I'm spending the entire day reading and responding to students' drafts. I love having long stretches of time--no class, no meetings--to read their work. And the conditions today are perfect: dining room table, view of the brilliance that is my sweet gum tree in my front yard right now, plentiful coffee, and the company of our new little pet bird, Maya. (The instructions said to put the birdcage in a centralized location, where the birdie can see us--her new flock--often.)
The problem, though, is this: I do all the student-paper reading/responding online, so I have a gazillion internet things to distract me: the blog, email, livejournal, flickr, bloglines, discussion boards on Blackboard, etc. They're all so tempting.
But today I'm using this cool little timer that I found here. I've been setting it for 30 minutes, and I tell myself that I absolutely CANNOT go anywhere online until it buzzes. And then when it buzzes, I re-set it for 5 minutes: 5 minutes to play online or take care of email business.
It's working so far. Probably because I'm a good little Catholic-raised rule-follower.
It's even forcing me to work faster, because I'm trying to see how many papers I can get through before it buzzes. So far, my max is 2. But even that's pretty good.
Ooops...there it goes. And so do I.



6 Comments:
I wish I could be as disciplined as it sounds like you're being!
Awesome grading set-up.
I bet I'll have some questions for you next semester when I teach online for the first time!
Michelle P
B*--Well, I'm trying! Still behind, though.
Michelle--Hey, ask away! Not that I'm an expert or anything. But once I started teaching online, I liked electronic responding so much that I decided to use it for f2f classes too. I'd be glad to talk with you about it!
Deb, Nice to have you visit my blog. I always feel like company has stopped by when someone comes by and comments.
I like the idea of the little timer. I had kids in school who actually worked better when I set a timer for them. They didn't seem to be distracted as easily, focusing on the amount of time instead of the myriad other things kids can find to focus on.
you are Catholic? were Catholic? *is curious*
Very nice site! Internet interfaced alarm systems home security Auto+alarm+system Home security system simple Pay bill online office max Moving companies to relocate to a different state Forty love tennis adt alarm systems http www.fabuloussavings.com Water filters comparisons Fort lauderdale fishing reports blonde mom fuck Home security sport Small ship coastal cruises alaska
Post a Comment
<< Home