Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Know-How and Do-How

"My know-how is better than my do-how."

Someone said this to me today in a conversation about dieting. This woman was talking about how she *knows* how to eat right, how to exercise, etc.--but she doesn't always follow through on the actual doing.

I thought, "Hmm, just like grading."

My KNOW HOW when it comes to reading/responding to/grading student papers: spread 'em out--just a few a day--over many days.

My student-paper DO HOW: Put off the whole boatload and then stay up way too late three nights in a row to get 'em done. And, of course: agonize over how behind I am and let that mindset taint everything else that's going on.

Why, after all this time, doesn't my do-how match my know-how??!

8 Comments:

At November 16, 2005 5:53 PM, Blogger Nan said...

You've just described the way I do things in one short sentence. I, too, wonder why. Maybe the pressure helps. Otherwise, we might linger over them and give more of our lives to them than we need to.

 
At November 16, 2005 6:55 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

PREACH ON! Seriously, I do the same thing, with both dieting AND grading. *sigh*

 
At November 16, 2005 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the longer I put it off, the worse my attitude becomes and the larger the pile seems to grow!

 
At November 17, 2005 1:01 PM, Blogger ~heather said...

I definetely am psyched about Christmas, and yes, I was one of only a couple dozen customers in City Center the other day. I'm glad you comment on my ridiculous entries - it makes me feel like posting more often :)

 
At November 18, 2005 2:14 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I'm glad to hear that others have the same problem! And Cate, I love what you said about not letting such things take over our lives.

 
At March 02, 2007 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

 
At March 04, 2007 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Old fire alarms Web hosting cheap hosting managed hosting dedicated hosting http://www.convertible-1.info/1947_lincoln_continental_convertible.html Beavercreek high school home page used hummer houston http://www.domain-for-sale-1.info/Clipart-rocking-chair.html

 
At April 26, 2007 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home