Thursday, March 31, 2005

Dipping a toe in

This is my first-ever blog attempt. I've been reading blogs for some time--I'm practicially addicted to reading a few of them--but I've never actually maintained my own. So here goes!

My main purpose for this particular blog is to create a record of my first attempt at using blogs in my composition classroom. Today in class, my students created their own accounts on blogger.com and began designing their blogs. I told them to think of their main audience as their fellow participants in English 111. Occassionally, I plan to require them to make class-related blog posts, but for the most part, I want them to think of their blogs as their own cyber space--a space where they can re-present themselves textually to the class. I don't plan to grade the blogs per se--I'll just give them credit for maintaining them.

The students seemed pretty receptive to the idea. I can't wait to see how the whole thing unfolds this quarter.